Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Piuraagvik Center here in Barrow, Alaska has a basketball court, climbing wall, racketball court, weights & cardio equipment, fitness classroom, sauna & showers.  I have been talking advantage of the climbing wall.  Granted there are bigger and better walls, but for Barrow, this is a pretty nice wall. 

There are 5 levels each harder than the last.  I have completed levels 1-3, half of level 4 and was two pulls away from level 5.  I figure in the next couple months my climbing will be coming along nicely.  I would do better with proper shoes as I am clilmbing in regular tennis shoes now.

I have not spent too much time climbing in the past.  I have found out that it is a great total body workout with great focus on the forearms.


Rigging my harness, we are tied into a belayer in case of fall.  The center provides the belayer, all trained in proper technique, etc.

"Ready to Climb" on level three.

Working my way up level three.

Level three working on next hold

Enjoying the view from the top of Level Three.

Level 5, the picture doesn't show hor much of an angle you are really at.  I'm reaching into the chalk bag so I can keep a good grip.

Level 5 again, the picture doesn't show it really well, but my right hand went over the rope.  This put pressure on my forearm not allowing me to keep a good grip.  I should have called out to the belayer for slack but I just couldn't hold on.

This isn't me falling.  I am actually doing a dynamic grab for that green hold.  I shouldn't let my right leg get that far out from the wall.

Climbing up Level Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment